Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Days Away


I have not posted anything on my blog for awhile.I have been receiving a lot of phone calls and emails. People really want to know how the project goes, they also want to hear news about Haiti.

I left the country last year on November 22, I am now attending college in the States by the generosity of Dr James and Jane Ebel. They are the ones who hosted me when I came to America for surgery in 2005. They did not forget me while I was in Haiti over the last 5 years. They provided me money for food and education. The Ebels believe that if they help me to obtain an education, I will be able to help my family and my country as well. I had tried twice to get a student visa, but unfortunately I was denied. I did not give up because I believe I would overcome anything that could have been an obstacle for me.

I decided to apply for a nursing degree at Black Hawk college (BHC) after being called by Rita Ledbetter (current host family) to help my friend Moise Eldor with his BHC’s application. Finally, I have been granted an F1 visa to come to U.S. for my education and I am so grateful for this opportunity. I have already completed a semester in the English as Second Language program and I am going to take a second semester which will be also my last semester in that program, then I will be taking nursing classes in spring 2012. It’s hard to leave family and friends behind, but I have to do it because they count on me. Despite I am now living in the U.S., but the project is not stopped. My older Jones brother keeps up the work.

Like I said, it’s hard to leave people you know behind. It's hard for me to leave the children in my neighborhood that I am struggling for to have education, clean water, food and medical care; but they count on me every single day. I have been through poverty and I know what it means. I miss Haiti a lot and I will eventually return to help my beloved country.

No comments:

Post a Comment